How-To Care For: Wool (2)

After we detailed examined all the different types of wool, it is time to learn how to wash and care for our favorite woolen clothes. I prepared some pictures with my favorite sweaters, made by Merino wool, Cashmere and Alpaca. 


First and most important, I always do hand-wash for my woolen garments. This is the best and safest way to care for them. The water temperature must be cool, nice for you hands. Тhe fibers become elastic, soft and absorb the washing product and conditioner very well. Hot water will destroy and shrank the clothes, and too cold water makes the fabric and your hands stiff. 
The products I used in this post are a present from my mum by one of her trips around Europe. She gifted me a nice cashmere sweater and this care set. I love the smell and how soft my stuff is after washing! If you are looking for an wool and cashmere care set, check hereNET-A-PORTER has a nice and affordable offer!


Woolen clothes are delicate and you have to be careful with the washing. Do not rub too intensive, just submerge and gently agitate the water with your hands to evenly distribute soap. Gently focus on susceptible areas such as underarms, necklines and cuffs.
Soak for 15-30 minutes, then rinse richly by running cool water through the item. Do not wring, press the water out of the item until it almost stops dripping. I have a secret how to remove excess water -  lay down the item in its original shape on a clean white towel and roll together. The towel will absorb the water and the item is not destroyed or wrinkled. Leave it to dry fully by laying it on a drying rack in its original shape. 
Never use tumble dryer! Never hang wet woolens! During the drying avoid direct sunlight or heat sources, they can destroy, shrank or yellow the garments. Steaming is highly recommended instead ironing. 


Next important step in care for woolen stuff is de-pilling. Some yarns pill more than others. For finer-gauge pills you can use a pilling comb - you can find one here - just gently glide the comb across. For heavier-gauge pills, use the Sweater Stone - here
The Cashmere brush is the miracle, which removes fuzz and hair. And it is in my must-have list. I am still looking for a good offer to buy it and when I find it, I will share a link for you. Store your knits always folded to prevent distorting and stretching, be sure you are well supplied with moth killers. I use Acana moth killer sachet for my drawers and wardrobes. 



And my favorite finish - the refreshment spray, it smells amazing. Refresh your garments between wears with few sprays and leave to dry.  

Winter weather outside reminds to unpack the sweaters. Just book your Mrs Hughes Maid to do it instead you and organise your closet for the upcoming season. 



Love,
Mrs Hughes
xx



Comments

Popular Posts